My brain is not up to writing anything of substance or interest — it just wasn’t a good day. But since I feel compelled to write to shut up the voices in my head, write I shall.
But I shall cheat.
I was tagged for a meme by TiedTogetherWithaSmile. Here are the rules:
The rules are:
- Link to the person who tagged you.
- Post the rules on your blog.
- Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.
- Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
- Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.
Here we go:
1. Lately I have been craving silence. This is a very odd thing, as I have always been one to have the radio on 24/7. I always thought my one friend a little quirky, as she said she rarely watches tv and never turns on the radio. “No noise?” I asked her. “Nope,” she replied. Odd, I thought. But while Kurt was gone this past week, and now that he’s off at the movies seeing Iron Man, I have resisted turning on either the tv or the radio. And it’s nice.
2. I have this odd thing about using things up. I really hate to finish something off. It’s mostly to do with my beauty products, like makeup or fragrance. When my sister sends me a sample in the mail, sometimes I have a really hard time using it, knowing I only get a few uses out of it.
2a. (Corollary to #2) What I hate even more than using something up, is running out of something. This is why I have an overly full pantry. I have so much food in my pantry that I could probably feed a small African orphanage, but it’s because I am so afraid of running out of something. I’m not a person who can just “make do” with something till I get around to getting more.
3. I really hate bad smells. And now that I’m pregnant, I’m even more susceptible. When the garbage starts to stink, I want it taken out. Sometimes Kurt will say, “But it’s not full yet!” To which I respond, “BUT IT STINKS!” I am also very sensitive to smells, and will do my best to eradicate them from my house. Generally my favorite way of getting bad smells out of the house is to Febreze the couches and open as many windows as I can stand before I freeze to death. Also I clean with Mrs Meyer’s cleaning spray (either the lavender or the basil), and it tends to make my entire house smell so fresh and clean.
4. I am obsessed with water bottles, the Nalgene reusable kind. I just bought a new one today, bringing my total up to three that I use constantly. I have several more in the garage that have been taken out of rotation. One is the bottle that keeps track of my water intake, but I can only use that to track plain water. Anything else will ruin the valve inside that determines my intake. I also have an amber Camelbak bottle that says, “Hydrate or Die” in motorcycle-inspired font, which amuses me highly because it’s oh so true. And today I bought a new green Nalgene bottle that was part of a promotion run by Crystal Light and Brita water filters to encourage people to use reusable bottles instead of throwaway or recyclable water bottles that you buy at the store. It came with ten packets of Crystal Light as well, all for $4.88. I didn’t think I liked Crystal Light, but I tried the Raspberry Lemonade, and it was really good! There was no “diet” aftertaste at all. I plan on using the new green bottle to drink non-water items out of, like the Crystal Light and the Lipton Tea To Go that I like to buy. Right now I am drinking green tea with mint that I bought from Trader Joe’s yesterday. Mmm mmm good.
5. I have phone fear and showing-up-on-someone’s-doorstep fear. Basically I suppose it’s a form of social anxiety. I really, really hate to call someone on the phone (major exceptions being my mom, my sister, and Caroline). I’m always afraid I am bothering them or interrupting them, or that they simply wouldn’t want to hear from me. Since we’ve moved from Washington, I have refrained from calling my good friend J, someone I used to talk to at least once a day, because I can no longer look out the window to see if she’s home. Also since we don’t have constant contact, I no longer know what her schedule is. Today Kurt got the bright idea to invite our neighbors over for dinner to reciprocate for them feeding us on a whim last weekend, so he dropped me off at their house and had me ring the doorbell to see if they would come (he think it’s quite silly to call someone who lives on our street; he figures I should just walk over there. I’m always afraid I’m going to catch someone in their jammies). It took a lot for me to ring that doorbell, but I did, and now they’re coming over for dinner tomorrow night!!!
(Aside — Kurt had begun brainstorming out loud as to what we could make for our guests, and he noticed all the Mexican food displays in the front of the commissary when we went this afternoon. Finally he lit upon the idea of tacos, which we very rarely have, but which he loves. I went ahead and invited E and her family over for tacos tomorrow night, and she mentioned she would bring the margaritas. It wasn’t till several hours later that I had my epiphany — I had toyed with the thought of having E over for Cinco de Mayo, but had completely forgotten about it when I invited her over. And Kurt had decided on tacos without even realizing that tomorrow is indeed Cinco de Mayo. I was amazed how in tune we were, completely by accident!)
6. In a lot of ways, I am rather miserly, but I don’t mind spending money on certain things. Case in point: anything to do with the computer, and anything to do with my camera. I don’t go hog-wild (my last camera toy ran me just $30, which is quite reasonable when most lenses would cost me $500 or more), but it’s something I don’t mind spending my money on. And computers. I guess I didn’t need my own laptop, and certainly not one as nice as this one is. I could quite easily have done with one that was a lot less powerful. But I like to get something that will last me for a loooooooooooong time, and through lots of trial-and-error I have realized that if you buy something a little nicer, it will last a lot longer. Also Kurt really wanted me to get this particular laptop, so if I should blame someone, it should probably be him.
Now, I realize I am supposed to tag six people for this, but I figure, if you want to do it, consider yourself tagged!!! What can I say, I’m a rebel!! Please just leave me a comment when you do it so that I can come to your site and check out what you had to say.